Thursday, August 27, 2015

Shazam (revisited)!



Sometimes I worry about me. Mostly it's at 3 in the morning, when I wake up from my slumber, my brain whirring, abuzz with worries that seem so ridiculous and silly during daylight hours. But at 3am, stupid stuff keeps me awake, suffering with concerns that don't seem to concern me the next day at all.

I have to watch old episodes of That 70's Show to get back to sleep. And if you think I'm kidding, come over sometime and check out the 27 episodes I keep DVR'd. I don't actually watch them per se.  I just turn on the TV, set the timer to turn off in 30 minutes, and roll over, listening to the familiar soundtrack replay for the umpteenth time, keeping one side of my brain occupied so that the other side can fall asleep. Frasier, Cheers, Golden Girls and Three's Company will also work in a pinch.

Now you're worried about me too, aren't you?

But the worrying I was referring to was more of a musical worry. Worrying that my taste has gotten a little bipolar lately. Maybe even quad polar, if that's a thing. Tonight I sat down and checked the songs I've Shazammed recently. Shazam, for those of you without a smartphone, is an app used to identify songs. Say I'm in a restaurant and I hear a song that strikes a chord. I open up the app, and it tells me (usually) the name of the song and the group performing it. I've written about it before.


Tonight I opened up the app again, and realized that lately, I'm just all over the map. A band called Pomplamoose, a Bob Dylan remake, a reggae mashup of Elvis and Led Zeppelin, a bunch of really cool stuff I heard on JPR's Rhythm & News Service, and then some weird guy named Lunchmoney Lewis. And I have no idea where I heard him, but obviously I did. Because I Shazammed him. Twice in the past year. I have the evidence. Anyway, like I said, I'm all over the map these days. Maybe that's a good thing? But when you hear today's playlist, don't judge me. I'm already judging me enough for the both of us.

For the most part, I can't recall where I was or what I was doing when I heard the songs I've Shazammed. It could be anywhere. A few stand out:

Marty Robbins, from Fallout New Vegas, a video game my daughter has been playing a little too much lately. But the song kept playing over and over again, and eventually it got stuck in my craw, and I had to know who did it. It was right there on the tip of my braintongue, and I couldn't stop thinking about it until I Shazammed it.

Another one came from some video on YouTube of the most adorable little boy, dancing to a Cuban mambo by a public pool, much to the delight of his parents, I'm sure. Much to my delight, actually. Enough that I had to know what he was dancing to. You know, so that I could dance to it, but maybe not poolside, and maybe not in front of my parents.

One of them, I remember, was because I just couldn't believe, no matter how fervently my daughter tried to impress upon me, that it was being sung by the most highly paid and in demand actress of this century. That would be Jennifer Lawrence. But for about 5 minutes, her song "Hanging Tree" was played on radio stations everywhere, and made her a little bit more money.

One of the songs on the list was featured on a Walking Dead promo (I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's my favorite TV show). I can tell from the timestamp on the app that roughly half of the tunes came from JPR, and the rest? I dunno. But this is the stuff that rolls around in my head, the music that moves me enough to make sure I have some record of what it is so I can hunt it down again later on down the road, and share it with you. Lucky, lucky you! You like Marty Robbins, right?

Without further adieu, here's today's Shazam Revisited Playlist on Spotify. It's just a musical peek inside my head over the past year, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or even something to be proud of. But I think you'll still enjoy it, regardless. But if you don't, I'm not gonna worry too much about it. Until 3 in the morning, that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment