Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Oh, The (Cards Against) Humanity!


Every month, I get together with a group of girlfriends for 'Bunco' night. We've been doing it for several years, to the point where we have finally had to start admitting to our husbands that we don't even play Bunco. When I finally made the confession, he said, "So now we can just start calling it what it really is then? Your Ladies-Wine-Night?"

Back when it all started at Monica's house, we did actually play Bunco. I even hosted a night of Bunco at my house once. But after we'd done it five or six times, we realized that you never got to finish a conversation, because a game can end pretty quickly, and then suddenly you're off to a different table playing with new people, and the whole night is just a series of incomplete, disjointed conversations.

I was so glad when someone suggested that we try something different, and instead of bringing $5 to throw into the hat for the Bunco Grand Champion (which always seemed to be the same exact gal every time), that we all bring a piece of jewelry to exchange. Another time we wrapped up used books, another time it was DVDs, and we've done holiday ornaments a couple of times as well.
I've ended up with some amazing new jewelry (and have been able to slowly relieve myself of a few pieces of jewelry my ex-husband gave me that was too nice to toss, and too awkward to wear), and I look forward to my Ladies-Wine-Night more than anyone will ever know.

I bring up Ladies-Wine-Night because I feel another change is in the air again, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really interested to see where it takes us. I think it was Carey who suggested that instead of doing a worst-present-you-received-over-the-holidays gift exchange (I'd bring that spotlight my husband gave me "to go zombie hunting in the backyard"), that instead we try playing a new game. Cards Against Humanity.

Have you played that game? It's like an inappropriate version of Apples to Apples. Really inappropriate. It's definitely not the kind of game you want to play if you're either afraid of offending anyone or if you are easily offended. Below is an example of the tamest hand I could find.

So this week, this is what my respectable ladies' drinking club will be doing as our activity (or rather recovering from, as you read this).

And did I mention that I'm hosting?

I've been instructed to send my teenage daughter to another wing of the house (and my husband has decided it might be best for him to pretend he's Howard Hughes for the night and go into seclusion as well).

I feel almost like I'm having one of those ladies' lingerie house parties.

The Lemon Drops will flow.

Some people will blush at the sight of their own hand of cards.

David Bowie will apparently be riding in on a flying tiger made of lightning.

And I'm in charge of the music.

So today's playlist, in honor of the martinis, is one that I've shared before a few years back when I hosted a completely different group of friends for book club. It's fun, respectable, but a little irreverent, and the perfect backdrop for a night with Lemon Drops and Cards Against Humanity.

Enjoy a little Martini Music for today's Mistress of the Mix playlist while I go prepare some delicious morsels and cut a few lemons.
  1. Della Reese - Come On A My House
  2. Tao of Groove - Cha Cha Cha 57
  3. De-Phazz - Jim The Jinn 
  4. De-Phazz featuring Pat Appleton - Mambo Craze
  5. Dimitri from Paris - Une Very Stylish Fille
  6. Rouge Rouge - L'amour
  7. Dimitri from Paris - Toujours L'amore
  8. Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano
  9. Towa Tei with Bebel Gilberto - Batacuda
  10. De-Phazz - Jeunesse Dore
  11. Cesaria Evora - Carnaval de Sao Vicente
  12. Combustible Edison - Vertigogo & Intermission
  13. Martin Denny - Quiet Village
  14. De-Phazz - Dummes Spiel
  15. Funky Lowlives - Latazz
  16. Doris Day - Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps
  17. Jazzelicious - Sambossa
  18. Dimitri From Paris - Sacre Francais
  19. Soul Bossa Trio - Mambo Parisienne
  20. Mr. Scruff - Get A Move On
  21. Nina Simone - Feeling Good
  22. Yma Sumac - Gopher Mambo & Gopher Mambo Re-Mix
  23. Ursula 1000 - Kinda Kinky
  24. Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde
  25. Gotan Project - Whatever Lola Wants
  26. St. Germain - Soul Salsa Soul
  27. Ursula 1000 - Samba 1000
  28. Pink Martini - Sympathique


No comments:

Post a Comment