Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Feast

My mother has done it again.
Sigh.
Here we are, a week before Thanksgiving, and my mother called me today to discuss her plans.
If you've been a longtime reader of The Mistress of The Mix, you may recall that two years ago I finally had a chance to cook a Thanksgiving feast.
It was a big deal.
My husband and I relished in the opportunity to cook a turkey, make my world famous mashed potatoes and gravy, the whole thing. And it was wonderful. I was so thankful that year!
The only reason this happened was because my mother was out of town. (To her credit, she was acting as nursemaid to my little sister, who was recuperating from a double mastectomy.)
And then there was last year, when Eddie and I wanted to cook the Thanksgiving dinner again, now that mom was back in town to enjoy it. But no, she insisted on having the local supermarket deli cook the entire meal for us. The turkey, the potatoes, the gravy, everything. Our only consolation was that we insisted on cooking the pies.
Apple, peach and mincemeat. We hit a home run, ask anyone who was there.
Cut to this morning, when my mom called to tell me that this year, she's decided to break away from the norm.
For about a half a second, I was thrilled.
I've been getting emails for weeks from all the foodie websites I hang out on, with titles like The Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes Of All Time! and Yummies Mashed Potatoes Ever!
I was up for this. I was ready to impress!
I imagined myself cooking all my favorite Thanksgiving dishes! Fresh green beans sautéed in butter and fresh garlic, Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish, a turkey covered in thin slices of lemon, corn on the cob, fresh baked bread smothered in salted butter, mashed garlic potatoes, and of course my lump free amazing gravy. Oh, the gravy! It was gonna be awesome!
Then she dropped a bomb on me.
By breaking away from the norm, my mom meant that she had decided to try switching things up by getting the entire meal pre-cooked from Trader Joe's.
So let me just say right now, right here, in front of everyone, I hereby stake a claim on next year's Thanksgiving. I've got dibs. Because I've got recipes.
And in the meantime, I've cooked up a musical Thanksgiving feast for you, complete with the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, extra green beans, corn on the cob, stuffing, lots and lots of fresh baked bread and butter, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, wild rice, and I even managed to find some Cranberries! Of course it wouldn't be a thanksgiving feast without pumpkin pie with whipped cream and a couple of glasses of red wine. But it all begins by saying grace, and ends with a Thanksgiving prayer. I hope you enjoy!
Thanksgiving Dinner by Valerie Ing-Miller on Grooveshark

Enjoy this playlist by clicking on the play arrow, above. Or go directly to Grooveshark.
  1. Say Grace - Babette Hayward
  2. Turkey In The Straw - Buck Owens & Roy Clark
  3. Bread & Butter - Hugo
  4. Red Wine, Mistakes & Mythology - Jack Johnson
  5. Turkey Dubstep - The Dubstep Turkeys
  6. Gravy - Dee Dee Sharp
  7. Mashed Potatoes - Rufus Thomas
  8. Bread & Butter - Newbeats
  9. Where's My Gravy - Steve Lucky & The Rhumba Bums
  10. Soul Dressing - Booker T. & The MGs
  11. Green Beans - Nils Landgren Funk Unit
  12. Green Beans - Chad Van Gaalen
  13. My Sweet Potato - Booker T. & The MGs
  14. Sweet Potato - Sia
  15. Bread & Wine - Josh Garrels
  16. Butternut Squash - Biotron Shelf
  17. Butternut - Tommy Guerrero
  18. Corn on the Cob - Jean-Jacques Perrey
  19. Linger - The Cranberries
  20. Pumpin Pie - California Honey Drops
  21. Whipped Cream - Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
  22. Celebrate Wild Rice - Sacred Spirit
  23. A Prayer of Thanksgiving - Richard Clayderman
  24. Thanksgiving - George Winston






No comments:

Post a Comment