Thursday, April 12, 2012

Martini Music



I've got a situation. As some of you public radio fans out there may know, Jefferson Public Radio has been holding it's Spring membership drive for the past week. It's that moment when the entire staff puts our lives on hold,  dedicating ourselves to reminding listeners that it's called 'listener supported public radio' for a reason...because it's financially supported by its listeners (except for that whopping 12% of our budget which is supported by CPB grants which comes from the federal coffers, which means taxpayers). It's a long 8 days that leaves everyone emotionally exhausted and strangely high on adrenaline at the same time. I'm happy to say that it was all worth it, because last night we actually ended our fund drive early on all 3 services of JPR*. I can't remember the last time that happened. It's extremely affirming when people across what I like to call the mythical State of Jefferson come together to voluntarily offer money to keep their favorite radio station on the air just because they like it.

I digress.
I do have a situation.

I have pretty much done nothing for the past week except get up, drink coffee, go to work, drink more coffee, get on the microphone and talk for 7 hours about why it's important to support public radio, go home, make dinner, watch The Voice and get up off the couch at 10pm when I realize I nodded off some time ago, and shuffle off to bed. My house is a mess, I'm hosting my book club dinner party meeting tonight, and I have a column due in about 10 minutes and no idea what this week's playlist is going to be about.  I thought about putting together a playlist of all the music I've been turned on to by listening to JPR over the years, but the thought of going through my iTunes, scouring it for songs like Lucinda Williams' "Honey Bee" and "Come Undone" by Isobel Campbell with Mark Lanegan is just so time consuming that I think I'll put that one off until the Fall membership drive if it's okay with you. I have simply run out of time.
And then there's the other situation... coming up with the perfect playlist for tonight's gathering of my book loving gals so that we've got the perfect music wafting through my kitchen while we sip on  martinis and discuss our book d'jour, the 1960's time traveling novel by Stephen King, 11-22-63.

Oh. Of course.
Hold the princess phone.

I've already got a playlist for that ready to go.
Years ago, when I first downloaded iTunes and started importing all my music, I created a special genre called Martini Music for all the songs I imagined listening to at a martini-soaked retro 60's dinner party that so far, until tonight, I've never actually had.

So...um, never mind. Situation handled.

Well, although I've only got enough chicken alfredo and caesar salad for 8, feel free to join our little dinner party virtually by whipping up a batch of gin & grapefruit juice martinis (delish with a twist of lime) and streaming today's Martini Music playlist. Just click on the play button, and enjoy!

*P.S. Even though our on-air fund drive is over, you can still join the ranks of JPR's 10,000 members throughout the region via a tax-deductible contribution at the JPR website. I was really really really hoping to get an online membership from someone aboard the space station this drive (just to prove that we can be streamed in space over the internet), but I'd be willing to settle for a retired astronaut at this point, or even anyone who has ever worked for NASA, or has even been to Space Camp, so if you know anyone....


  1. Della Reese - Come On A My House
  2. Tao of Groove - Cha Cha Cha 57
  3. De-Phazz - Jim The Jinn 
  4. De-Phazz featuring Pat Appleton - Mambo Craze
  5. Dimitri from Paris - Une Very Stylish Fille
  6. Rouge Rouge - L'amour
  7. Dimitri from Paris - Toujours L'amore
  8. Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano
  9. Towa Tei with Bebel Gilberto - Batacuda
  10. De-Phazz - Jeunesse Dore
  11. Cesaria Evora - Carnaval de Sao Vicente
  12. Combustible Edison - Vertigogo & Intermission
  13. Martin Denny - Quiet Village
  14. De-Phazz - Dummes Spiel
  15. Funky Lowlives - Latazz
  16. Doris Day - Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps
  17. Jazzelicious - Sambossa
  18. Dimitri From Paris - Sacre Francais
  19. Soul Bossa Trio - Mambo Parisienne
  20. Mr. Scruff - Get A Move On
  21. Nina Simone - Feeling Good
  22. Yma Sumac - Gopher Mambo & Gopher Mambo Re-Mix
  23. Ursula 1000 - Kinda Kinky
  24. Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde
  25. Gotan Project - Whatever Lola Wants
  26. St. Germain - Soul Salsa Soul
  27. Ursula 1000 - Samba 1000
  28. Pink Martini - Sympathique




No comments:

Post a Comment