I do have a situation.
I have pretty much done nothing for the past week except get up, drink coffee, go to work, drink more coffee, get on the microphone and talk for 7 hours about why it's important to support public radio, go home, make dinner, watch The Voice and get up off the couch at 10pm when I realize I nodded off some time ago, and shuffle off to bed. My house is a mess, I'm hosting my book club dinner party meeting tonight, and I have a column due in about 10 minutes and no idea what this week's playlist is going to be about. I thought about putting together a playlist of all the music I've been turned on to by listening to JPR over the years, but the thought of going through my iTunes, scouring it for songs like Lucinda Williams' "Honey Bee" and "Come Undone" by Isobel Campbell with Mark Lanegan is just so time consuming that I think I'll put that one off until the Fall membership drive if it's okay with you. I have simply run out of time.
And then there's the other situation... coming up with the perfect playlist for tonight's gathering of my book loving gals so that we've got the perfect music wafting through my kitchen while we sip on martinis and discuss our book d'jour, the 1960's time traveling novel by Stephen King, 11-22-63.
Oh. Of course.
Hold the princess phone.
I've already got a playlist for that ready to go.
Years ago, when I first downloaded iTunes and started importing all my music, I created a special genre called Martini Music for all the songs I imagined listening to at a martini-soaked retro 60's dinner party that so far, until tonight, I've never actually had.
So...um, never mind. Situation handled.
Well, although I've only got enough chicken alfredo and caesar salad for 8, feel free to join our little dinner party virtually by whipping up a batch of gin & grapefruit juice martinis (delish with a twist of lime) and streaming today's Martini Music playlist. Just click on the play button, and enjoy!
*P.S. Even though our on-air fund drive is over, you can still join the ranks of JPR's 10,000 members throughout the region via a tax-deductible contribution at the JPR website. I was really really really hoping to get an online membership from someone aboard the space station this drive (just to prove that we can be streamed in space over the internet), but I'd be willing to settle for a retired astronaut at this point, or even anyone who has ever worked for NASA, or has even been to Space Camp, so if you know anyone....
- Della Reese - Come On A My House
- Tao of Groove - Cha Cha Cha 57
- De-Phazz - Jim The Jinn
- De-Phazz featuring Pat Appleton - Mambo Craze
- Dimitri from Paris - Une Very Stylish Fille
- Rouge Rouge - L'amour
- Dimitri from Paris - Toujours L'amore
- Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano
- Towa Tei with Bebel Gilberto - Batacuda
- De-Phazz - Jeunesse Dore
- Cesaria Evora - Carnaval de Sao Vicente
- Combustible Edison - Vertigogo & Intermission
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- De-Phazz - Dummes Spiel
- Funky Lowlives - Latazz
- Doris Day - Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps
- Jazzelicious - Sambossa
- Dimitri From Paris - Sacre Francais
- Soul Bossa Trio - Mambo Parisienne
- Mr. Scruff - Get A Move On
- Nina Simone - Feeling Good
- Yma Sumac - Gopher Mambo & Gopher Mambo Re-Mix
- Ursula 1000 - Kinda Kinky
- Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde
- Gotan Project - Whatever Lola Wants
- St. Germain - Soul Salsa Soul
- Ursula 1000 - Samba 1000
- Pink Martini - Sympathique